Thursday 2 January 2014

Looking For Alaka, Champion (Spoilers), and Catching Fire

Catching Fire (the movie)
A round of applause for that movie please. 
Seriously. They followed the book and IT WAS AWESOME. Some little things were off, but I don't even care because it was EPIC. I just ugh, yes, love. Perfection.

Champion, by Marie Lu.
It started wonderfully. 
Intense, action-packed, interesting. I love the relationships in this book, especially in Day and June's families. The only relationship I dont like is Metias/Thomas, mostly because THOMAS WAS TOTALLY FLIRTING WITH JUNE IN THE FIRST BOOK. Like, seriously, does he like Metias or June? I did like how he died, because for a split-second there I thought he would kill Tess, which would have made me mad. I felt like his death was very in character and well-written. 
And, okay, I hated how Day and June split up. Not just because I SHIP IT SO MUCH (which I do), but because it felt... cliche. Unoriginal. I saw it coming as soon as I saw the word "coma." 
And now I'm mad BECAUSE OMC SO MANY FEEEEEEEEEEEELS. e_e
I should go read something calming and non-heartbreaking for once (hahahahaha, yeah right).


Looking For Alaska, by John Green
Oh, heavens me.
John Green's books are full of beauty and wisdom. There are words and sentences and pages that I want to read over and over and memorize.
And his characters are so life like. And first person by him is so very in-character. The way Hazel, in FiOS, told the story was totally different from Pudge's voice. 
They just... I don't know. Don't seem fake or contrived. 
Something that I think is incredibly refreshing is that he's not kidding you. He doesn't know everything. But he's honest and real and it's really nice. 
On the other hand.... his books have a lot of crap in them. Like, the whole first half of the book was the main characters smoking and drinking and talking about sex/making out. 
Talking about it, mind you, not having it.
So it's not a book that I'd just recommend to everyone. Which annoys me, because there's so much goodness in it. 
And I think, if you took that stuff out, the book flattens out, becomes less real, because that's what teenagers deal with all the time. I'm not trying to say the bad stuff is okay, I'm saying I know why he writes like that. John Green is really good at making his books relatable and realistic to teenagers, which I appreciate.
And yeah, it made me cry. Not as hard as FiOS, but still.

No comments:

Post a Comment