Sunday 20 October 2013

A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini

I just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns
Yes. 
Well. 
It's one of those books that I kinda know will be crazy sad and go in with that mindset, determined not to cry...
And I was still stuck crying my eyes out for over half the book. It's up there with The Book Thief and Unwind as far as my emotions go. 

It. Was. Amazing. 

First, let me say there was some sex in it. Not like, graphic, or anything. It was like the sex scene in the Les Miserables movie. You know what's going on, but you don't see anything, because of camera angles. But just so you know going into it, it's there. 
There was a lot of violence, too. So if you're squeamish about that, be warned. It takes place during a war, and the husband is extremely abusive.

Now for the epic parts. 

Amazing characters. 
Heartbreaking plot. 
Extremely well written. 
Miriam, for Pete's sake. She. Is. So. Epic. 
It was really engaging. It was so easy to understand, even though it's about a world that's very different from America. And this might partially be my TCKness, but I could see the places and people. 


I just need people to all read all the books I read so they understand my brain and know what I know.

Some things that stuck out to me: 

One of the girls is about to abort her child, about to kill the baby. It's her second pregnancy, and she's scared she won't be able to love the kid as much as her first child (they have different fathers). But she can't do it. 
"...She could not accept what the Mujahideen so readily had: That sometimes in war innocent life had to be taken. Her war was against Rasheed. The baby was blameless. And there had been enough killing already. Laila had seen enough killing of innocents in the crossfire of enemies."
I feel like that needs to be remembered and thought about a lot more than it is. People are so quick to disregard life, I think. We talked about this in apologetics. We were watching a movie, and all these atheists kept saying things about how life is meaningless and people have no purpose and it's all in vain and blah blah blah, and we were all like "How can you say that? Why do people choose to believe that?" 
I just liked that quote from the book, where she figured out who her fight was with, and how her baby's life was important and innocent and how the kid deserved to exist. 

There was a part when the government burned books, banned poetry, music, dancing and writing, and also took away all women's rights. My blood ran with fury and hatred. That's something that happens in the dystopian novels I read, not in reality. Apparently I was wrong about that. I'm still really mad. 

I will never be able to watch Pinocchio or Titanic normally again. 

This is one of the times I'm just mad at the stupidity of humans and Satan for screwing everything up and I want to fix everything and whyyyyy can't the world realize the incredible value of life and freedom and beauty and everything. 

This book was historical fiction, it took place between 1959 and 2003. So it's pretty recent. And it was written for a reason. The dude had a note in the back of how you can help people in Afghanistan and stuff. 

I really, really liked it. 

The end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment