Friday 25 October 2013

Allegiant, by Veronica Roth ****SPOILERS****

If you haven't read Allegiant yet, and plan on it (which you should. It's the third and final Divergent book. Go to the library now), then stop reading this.
Seriously.
Okay.
Here we go.
Pinterest picture

Well, I had a very nice, thought out review-thing while I was reading it. Good parts, bad parts.
And then I got to the end.

Short version, I flipped through the last couple chapters after Tris died because I couldn't - and still can't - wrap my mind around it. I was checking to make sure it wasn't real.

.........

Then I threw it across the room and burst into tears.

Um.

SHE'S DEAD.

MY SHIP SANK. INTO AN OBLIVION OF DEATH.

WHAT. THE. HECK.


I refuse to accept this. And I should have seen it coming, I really should have, but I wasn't paying attention.

Like, I get it, but it just feels wrong. It makes sense, but I really wish she hadn't died. I wish David hadn't been in there. Because it feels wrong. And I love, love, love Veronica Roth, I love the books, but she's set such a high standard for herself with Divergent, I'm pretty sad about this one.

Okay, the rest of the book.

1) I didn't like allllllll the Four and Tris moments. I love them (obviously), but there was a lot of making out when I wanted action. I just really liked in the first book when Tris was terrified of that because we almost never see that in YA fiction, and it seemed more realistic. And then she got over it and they kiss a lot.

2) I'm really, really disappointed Uriah died. I didn't even like him all that much (don't get me wrong, I did like him, but his death did not have the same reaction as the above one), it's just that I'd seen everyone on the internet say he would die, that I wanted something unexpected.

3) I liked and disliked having Four's perspective. I liked it because it was cool to see his thoughts and stuff. I liked the Free Four short better, though.
I disliked it because it took away a lot of his mysteriousness. And once we got to the end, we obviously needed him, but still. I loved him talking about his parents, and his fears of being like them and stuff. I admire how Veronica Roth manages to make him vulnerable without making him weak. It's impressive (although, he was a tad more annoying and pathetic in this book. Seriously. Mostly the whole "I'm damaged wahhhh. I hate my life boo-hoo-hoo").

4) Amar... I'd never heard of him before. He just popped out of nowhere and it bugged me. I would have expected some references to him, at least. Now, maybe there was one, and I didn't remember, but it felt so random.

5) I have quotes that I will put on here tomorrow. There was the love and choices one, and the God one. Love, love, looooved those parts.

So yes and no. I'm incredibly conflicted.
I must say, the first Divergent book gave me really high expectations, and while I still really like Insurgent and Allegiant, the first is still the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment